Friday, September 30, 2011

Blog Tour: Author Guest Post - NeonSeon

NeonSeon holds a BA in English from the University of Iowa and an MA in Humanities and Social Thought from New York University. Neonseon is also the author of the Life of Shouty series.

Life of Shouty: Good Habits is the silver recipient of the Mom's Choice Awards for 2010 for Values and Life Lessons.









From NeonSeon:

I pulled my first all-nighter in third grade for a paper on Zimbabwe, which I typed on a brown and tan typewriter in our guest bedroom. I got an A. This was the beginning of a long string of all-nighters that lasted well into graduate school. I learned I could play while everyone else studied and still get the same grade or better for one night's worth of effort. What's the big deal? It's not hurting my grades, right? Well, if it was good enough for an A with little time spent, imagine how great it could've been with more time put into it. I was stifling my own potential.

Procrastination is a bad habit and just one of the many topics I address in my book Life of Shouty: Good Habits, the first in the Life of Shouty Series. The main character, Shouty, finds himself with a messy room, an overgrown lawn, and bills that are overdue.

Hmm. It doesn't look like procrastination is working for Shouty either. In fact, the main item he accomplishes on his to-do list is watching the game. Shouty keeps trying to change, but laziness gets the best of him and his lack of progress leads him to start thinking negative thoughts about himself.

But Shouty doesn't give up. When I visit schools to discuss this book, children laugh heartily at Shouty's messy room, and his head peeking over his lawn, but I know they are getting the message by their responses to my questions. The book opens with a young Shouty with bad habits, and then he becomes a grown-up Shouty with bad habits. A great lesson this book teaches is that bad habits from childhood do follow you into adulthood, unless you change them. I know because they followed me, and I'm changing them one bad habit at a time. :-)

Happy reading!