Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Blog Tour: Book Review of Life of Shouty by NeonSeon

Author: NeonSeon
Publisher: Rixkin
Hardcover: 32 pages
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
Shouty tries to develop good habits in his quest to become the person he wants to be. Will his bad habits prevail? Or can Shouty pull through, and make better choices?



Overall Rating: 3/5 


This one was only okay for me. The poem was cute and well-written for the most part. There were places where words didn't flow as nicely as I would have liked them to. The drawings were also pretty good. Again, there were some that I thought could have been better. A few were incredibly busy and distracted me from the main poem. Also, some of the situations weren't age-appropriate. Things like paying the bills, only watching sports games, and prioritizing don't apply well to eight-year-olds and would cause them to feel distanced from Shouty and the book in general.


I think that the message is extremely worthwhile and important to teach children, but the execution fell flat. Honestly, I think it's because I was expecting something a bit different. Usually when children's books have a message, it's worked into a more conventional-type story, but this book is very direct and reads more like a how-to for developing good habits rather than a story.