Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Audiobook Review: Big Boned by Meg Cabot

Buy from the Book Depository
Author: Meg Cabot
Narrator: Justine Eyre
Publisher: Books on Tape
Edition: Unabridged
Duration: 7 hours, 58 minutes
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)

Life is reasonably rosy for plus-size ex-pop star turned Assistant Dormitory Director and sometime sleuth Heather Wells. Her freeloading ex-con dad is finally moving out. She still yearns for her hot landlord, Cooper Cartwright, but her relationship with "rebound beau," vigorous vegan math professor Tad Tocco, is more than satisfactory. Best of all, nobody has died lately in "Death Dorm," the aptly nicknamed student residence that Heather assistant-directs. Of course every silver lining ultimately has some black cloud attached. And when the latest murdered corpse to clutter up her jurisdiction turns out to be her exceedingly unlovable boss, Heather finds herself on the shortlist of prime suspects—along with the rabble-rousing boyfriend of her high-strung student assistant and an indecently handsome young campus minister who's been accused of taking liberties with certain girls' choir members.
With fame beckoning her back into show business (as the star of a new kids' show!) it's a really bad time to get wrapped up in another homicide. Plus Tad's been working himself up to ask her a Big Question, which Heather's not sure she has an answer for . . .

Overall Rating: 5/5

This is by far the best and funniest of the series. Within the first chapter, I was laughing hysterically, and remained amused throughout the entire novel. Heather Wells is the kind of character I relate to. She's a bit clueless sometimes, finds herself in ridiculous situations, but she's a good person and tries her best to make things right. I love her! And Cabot has a talent for making her guy characters irresistible. I want a Cooper!

The mystery was very predictable; however, the way it's executed and the confrontation between Heather and the murderer is priceless, so I was okay with it. I liked the new characters that were added into this book, and the return of old characters such as her ex-fiance Jordan and her old boss Tom. Like I said, the whole novel is hilarious. There's a good mix of humor and seriousness in here.

Justine Eyre is the perfect narrator for Big Boned. Her inflections, tone, and pacing are all spot-on and I had no trouble believing that I was actually listening to Heather Wells tell her story. Just like with reading a book, I know I'm listening to a good audiobook when I completely lose track of time. That's what happened with Big Boned. Not once was I pulled out of the story. I consider this (and the rest of the series) a definite must-read for Cabot fans and chick-lit lovers.