Sunday, October 2, 2011

Audiobook Review: Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

Buy from the Book Depository
Author: Patricia Briggs
Narrator: Holter Graham
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Duration: 8 hours, 25 minutes
Series Order: Book 2
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
Anna Latham didn’t know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son- and enforcer- of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn’t know how dangerous it could be either...
Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran’s controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan -- and it seems like someone else might be too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all -- or risk losing everything...

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

Charles and Anna are definitely one of my favorite paranormal romance couples. They have a lot to work through relationship-wise, but they're both dedicated to each other, which makes for a lot of tension followed by incredibly sweet moments. This book is more about their relationship rather than about what's going on between the wolves, which I didn't mind at all. Like I said, these two characters have a lot to work through and watching them grow stronger as a couple is very satisfying.

Also, Anna has a lot to deal with by herself, and she is doing it wonderfully. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite understated bad-ass heroines. Go Anna!

I did think the mythology included in this one was a bit strange. Patricia Briggs is always sure to include some sort of mythology, which I love, but this was a little over-the-top for me. As is usual with this series and her Mercy Thompson series, a crazed werewolf is involved. I know that the werewolf is supposed to be crazy, but it was just a little strange. That's all I can say without giving anything away. :)

Mythology aside, Holter Graham is the perfect narrator for this audiobook. His voice for Charles was spot-on. I really felt as if I were listening to Charles tell the story. Also, he does a good job with Anna's narration. I am often annoyed when male narrators take on a female character. Their voices are generally too high and whiny to fit the characters. For Anna, however, this was not the case. While Graham obviously doesn't sound exactly like I imagine she would, he still does a good job in portraying her personality. His voice can exude intensity, which was perfect for a novel like this. I definitely recommend listening to this in audiobook format, if you can.