Monday, November 28, 2011

Book Review: Cicada by Belle Whittington

Author: Belle Whittington
Series Order: Book 1
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
Summertime had always been carefree and fun for Blair Reynolds and her friends--until they came upon something that was not human. As the group of friends band together in a fight for their lives, Blair's true love becomes something more than human...something unnatural. And their existence relies on their ability to keep a secret.




Overall Rating: 3/5 


One thing that Cicada definitely has going for it is its originality. I don't think I've ever read a book even slightly similar to this one. One of my favorite parts is how she combines a mythological story with her imagination to make up fairly believable creatures with an interesting history. When the action is there, it's very good, though I did find this book to be a bit slow. I think some of the romance and Blair's internal rationalization of things could have been cut out so there could have been room more action and strange stuff to happen.

I didn't like how the most exciting part of the book took place slightly over halfway through the novel. I think a lot of the revelations about Blair's dad and the thing they encountered in the woods should have taken place before the climax of the novel. It would have made the climax more exciting (and I probably would have known better what was going on), and there wouldn't be such a lag between the climax and the ending.

Overall, this was a fairly good read. The mystery and the action sustains the novel throughout, and Whittington is so good at making things mysterious, that my curiosity got me through some of the slower parts. If you like reading about aliens and weird stuff in general, then you'll like this imaginative young adult novel.