Monday, January 23, 2012

Book Review: In Leah's Wake by Terri Giuliano Long

Author: Terri Giuliano Long
Publisher: CreateSpace
Paperback: 352 pages
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
The Tyler family had the perfect life - until sixteen-year-old Leah decided she didn't want to be perfect anymore. 
While Leah's parents fight to save their daughter from destroying her brilliant future, Leah's younger sister, Justine, must cope with the damage her out-of-control sibling leaves in her wake. 
Will this family survive? What happens when love just isn't enough? 

Overall Rating: 2/5


This book just didn't do it for me, I'm sad to say. I think it does a good job in dealing with issues and questions that come up in the family dynamic. I liked that the point of view switches between each of Leah's family members instead of focusing on just the parents' viewpoint or just Leah's viewpoint. It showed how lack of communication and even miscommunication can create problems for a family. However, I like my fiction to have a balance. This book is just one depressing situation after another. Right after things start to seem a little better, another horrible thing happens. I will venture to say that most of our lives are filled with quite a bit of happy moments among the sad, frustrating moments, and I would have liked to see more of that.

In terms of characters, I think these ones could have been better. Leah's sister was overwhelmingly naive and annoying. Her inner thoughts didn't match her age at all -- she seemed more like an eight-year-old rather than a twelve-year-old.