Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Book Review: Passion by Lauren Kate

Buy from The Book Depository
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Series Order: Book 3
Hardcover: 420 pages
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
Luce would die for Daniel.

And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .

Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.
Sweeping across centuries, PASSION is the third novel in the unforgettably epic FALLEN series.

My Rating: 4/5
Finally! I actually liked Luce in this book. She seemed a lot smarter to me. Maybe because she stopped whining and moaning while waiting on the sidelines and actually decided to DO something about it. If there's one thing I hate, it's a whiny heroine who sits back and lets stuff happen to her. Go Luce!

This series is really starting to impress me. Every book gets better, and I am looking forward to Rapture. I'm glad we're finally starting to get some answers, but I hope there's more to the curse/story than was revealed. Because honestly, that would be lame if not. And the "mercy" that is given to Daniel for his curse seemed totally random to me. I don't want to reveal it for those who haven't read it, but the loophole was just weird.

I liked that we got to see a few of Luce's previous lives, and I liked the constant action. There was no time while reading that I was bored or thought the pacing was slow. I sped through Passion because of this. The twist at the end was a bit obvious. I think we all knew something was up with Bill. I expected him to be someone else, though, so his true identity was a nice surprise.

I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of the first book. And Torment even had its rocky moments. Passion made me a fan of this series. It's a thoroughly well-written, enjoyable book. Like I said in my review for Torment, if you gave up on Lauren Kate because of the first book, keep going. You may end up liking this series.