Friday, June 1, 2012

Kindle Short Story Review: Unknowing by Diantha Jones

Title: Unknowing
Author: Diantha Jones
Edition: Kindle (or Nook)
Summary: (taken from author's blog)
When Thomas met Miranda, his life changed forever. The question is...why? Only Miranda has the answer.










Overall Rating: 3/5 


This story surprised me with how well done it is. At the beginning, I wasn't sure about it; thinking that all the mundane details made for a kind of boring story. Thomas sat and stared at people and for awhile, I wondered where the story could possibly go. And then Miranda came, seemingly knowing way too much about Thomas without any explanation. With the revelation, all made sense and I was wowed. The set-up is so perfectly done that the ending has a huge payoff. Kudos to the author for a brilliant lead-in.

The only thing I wanted was more development. For a story with this subject, I wanted to know more about the characters. I wanted to see what happened to Thomas after Melinda's announcement. I definitely wanted to know more about Melinda, her background, and her feelings about the whole situation. I hope to see this in subsequent stories, though I really think this story is more suited to novels than short stories for the development it requires to become truly fantastic.

All in all, it's a great, fast read. Definitely worth the 99 cents on Kindle. Check it out!