Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunday News (1)



I noticed that nobody has a weekly update meme going on, so I thought I'd make a place for all of us to post our weekly updates. So, link up your weekly update posts here! I like to post mine on Sundays, but you can post yours on any day of the week. And if someone has a meme like this, let me know! I don't want to step on anybody's toes.

Random News
I recently joined the Science Fiction Book Club! Signing up is amazing. You get 6 books for $1, and they have tons of omnibuses and 2-in-1, 3-in-1 packs to choose from. Most of those count as one book! The only catch is that I have 2 years to buy 4 books at regular price. The way I read, and with their prices (which are pretty good), not a problem. I received my shipment on Monday and am so excited! I got:

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins (already read, but now I own them!)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
The five books from The Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams
The three Alpha & Omega novels by Patricia Briggs (including Fair Game and the Alpha & Omega novella!)
The Parasol Protectorate trilogy by Gail Carriger
The three Five Hundred Kingdoms novels by Mercedes Lackey

And I recently won the Death series by Tamara Rose Blodgett from A Book Vacation and my signed copy of Death Weeps came in the mail on Friday. (Thank you Tamara and Shana!) I know! I'm rolling in new books. I can't wait to read them all.

Currently Reading
Stronghold by Melanie Rawn - I used to love Rawn when I was in middle school. What happened? Her writing is way more boring than I remember. The first hundred pages are all politics, geography, and a basic run-down of the characters' genealogy. Is this really important? Thankfully, it picked up when the war started, but I'm still not sure about this one.

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth by Alexandra Robbins - I didn't realize there were case studies in here. Kind of like it. It's a bit slow and long, but interesting. I especially like the addition of the clique-ish teachers. And I feel for these kids that are being ostracized by their peers. Hang in there, kids!

The Stand by Stephen King - I got the uncut version. This is a GIANT book! Slow to start off, but things are starting to get going. King's the master of fiction, though. I have no worries that this is going to be awesome.

Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey - I have missed this world! I'm not very far in, and it's kind of lonely without Delaunay and Alcuin, but I'm liking it.

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll - Did a fourteen-year-old write this? The talk about sex is hilarious!!! Lots of quivering and burning going on. And the euphemisms! lol Darcy has a "torch of love" and Elizabeth has a "womanly portal." This stuff is so bad, I may just keep reading it.

Upcoming Posts
Monday - Audiobook review of Most Talkative by Andy Cohen
Tuesday - Book review of The Orphanmaster by Jean Zimmerman
Wednesday - Waiting on Wednesday - Thieftaker by D.B. Jackson
Thursday - Book review of Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
Friday - Audiobook review of The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga
Saturday - A spotlight on giveaways going on in the blog world.

Have updates you'd like to share? Link up!