Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: The Loved and the Lost by Lory S. Kaufman

Buy from the Book Depository
Title: The Loved and the Lost
Author: Lory S. Kaufman
Series: The Verona Trilogy, Book 3
Publisher: Fiction Studio
Paperback: 332 pages
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
They are three time travelers desperate to return to 14th-century Verona to reclaim their medieval family s shattered lives. It is a mission fraught with danger and the risk of unexpected consequences for themselves and for their worlds. For all three, it is a matter of the heart. For one, though, it is truly the only thing that matters, as the fate of his eternal love and the life of their unborn child is the prize to be won or lost forever. In this, the final book of THE VERONA TRILOGY, Hansum, Shamira and Lincoln go on the boldest adventure of their lives. They will face hardship, tragedy, and threats from sources they couldn't have imagined all in an effort to wrestle a future from the steely grip of an unforgiving past.

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

In the third and final book of the Verona Trilogy, author Lory Kaufman astounds me again! The Loved and the Lost is fast-paced, exciting and very hard to put down. I read this book twice in less than a week and will definitely recommend that anyone, middle school and above, read this series!

If you read my other reviews on this trilogy, you will know that I am completely smitten with this series. I love Kaufman’s writing style. The storyline is interesting and unique. The details are so true to life that I felt transported back in time. The characters are very well developed but more importantly, the author knows how to captivate an audience.

My favorite types of books are ones that are neatly wrapped up with a happy ending. The thing I enjoyed the most about this trilogy is that although the storyline is wrapped up, the author does it in a unique way so that I was not able to guess the end.

I was so deeply invested with these characters and fell in love with the history, that I didn’t want this series to end. With Kaufman’s writing style, I believe that he could write a series of books covering major historical events that will leave young readers begging for more.