Monday, March 25, 2013

Book Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Buy from the Book Depository
Title: The Indigo Spell
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Series: Bloodlines, Book 3
Hardcover: 401 pages
Summary: (taken from Goodreads)
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.  
Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood.
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

Richelle Mead does it again! The Indigo Spell is a wonderful story in a series of intoxicating books about vampires. I started reading the Vampire Academy series October 2012, and have read through all of that series. Now that I finished the third book in the Bloodlines series, all I can say is that I’m hooked.

As with every book, there are good and bad points. In the past I had a hard time finding a bad point in the books that I reviewed from Richelle Mead, until now. The Indigo Spell has a great storyline with shocking twists, which make for an awesome book. Yet, as I immersed myself in the book, I was totally annoyed with the struggle between my two favorite characters Sydney Sage and Adrian Ivashkov. Now don’t get me wrong: I love this couple! It was Sydney’s constant, “yes please kiss me, no you should never had kissed me” attitude that nearly drove me insane.

Sydney struggles with her role as Alchemist and her forbidden attraction to Adrian, who is a Moroi Vampire, but again the writing didn’t seem consistent with who Sydney is as an Alchemist. She is a fierce protagonist, who had already helped a Dhampir runaway from jail. She watched Stigoi (evil vampires) being killed, joined allegiance with and was in debt to a notorious Moroi. Sydney even stood up to the Warriors of Light and uncovered a devious plan by another Alchemist. This is the person that we are supposed to believe would complain so much about a forbidden kiss.

The Indigo Spell is a great third installment to a really good series. I was really excited when Sydney stopped whining about using magic and began to kick butt. The magic added a whole different vibe to the storyline. As you can probably tell, I like strong women characters who know what it takes to get the job done. Sydney started out strong in the books Bloodlines, and The Golden Lily, but I was nervous for awhile as to what direction the author was taking the character. In the end, The Indigo Spell finished nicely, but not with the powerful kick that Mead is known for in the Vampire Academy series.